Monday, July 20, 2009

Oh curses...

Last week I stubbed my toe and started to grunt, groan and mumble to myself. Little G, watching my irritation unfold, asked, "is it frickin' A, mama?"

Now for those of you who know me and my potty mouth, I hope you can appreciate that fricking, vs. the real word, came out of his sweet little mouth. However, the mommy guilt also kicked in. Actually it was fear. Fear that he'd say it at daycare (or any public place) and we'd (OK, I'd) get the bad parent honors.

And then I took my bad-parenting a step further and began to justify it all away. For example, that we can have different "rules" at home: "sure, honey, saying "fricking" is OK." I mean it is, comparatively... kinda'.... right?! And since a three year old still doesn't have all the words to accurately describe their annoyance (for example: "Mommy is just really frustrated that she hit her toe on your bed and it is throbbing and sending piercing shots of pain through her entire foot") and since they compulsively shop anger away, what else besides a well-place swear will do? At least it isn't a hit or kick... right?!

Mind you, this all when through my brain in the span of 1 second and I ended up replying, "No. Mommy is just really frustrated that she hit her toe on your bed and it is throbbing and sending piercing shots of pain through her entire foot. And we shouldn't say "fricking"."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Balanced Chaos | by TNB